Here are some suggestions from Linda Shenk about how to use your strawberries.
Method 1: Allows you to use individual frozen strawberries as you need.
- Wash strawberries.
- Take off the cap (green leaves)
- Place each whole berry on a cookie sheet in a single layer and place cookie sheet in freezer
- When strawberries are frozen they can be stored in a plastic freezer bag or container. You can remove a few at a time as needed from the container.
Method 2: Preserve frozen strawberries in a juice
- Wash strawberries
- Take off cap (green leaves) and slice into a bowl
- Add 1/4 C. sugar to 2 quarts of sliced strawberries (note: the sugar helps to preserve the strawberry flavor)
- Stir gently and let sit for 20 min. They will become juicy
- Put berries and juice into containers and freeze
Uses for frozen strawberries
- Add frozen strawberries to vanilla yogurt
- Use on top of cereal or oatmeal
- Add partially thawed strawberries to fresh fruit salad right before serving
- Blend frozen strawberries with other fruit and orange juice for fruit smoothie.
- Make strawberry lemonade
- Put 1 C. of frozen strawberries in a blender and add 1 quart of lemonade
- Puree until smooth
- Make strawberry sauce for over cake or other dessert
- Use strawberries frozen in sauce (method 2)
- Drain juice and add 1 Tbsp. of cornstarch to 1 C. of juice. Cook until thick
- Add the remaining strawberries, juice and sugar to taste